[Dnsmasq-discuss] dhcp-range not accepted, v2.66

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Wed May 1 11:31:21 BST 2013

On 01/05/13 11:21, johannes.kingma at gmail.com wrote:

> I get an “dnsmasq: bad dhcp-range at line 8 of /etc/dnsmasq.conf”
> error on
>

> dhcp-range=172.16.0.1,172.16.0.254,static
>

> or dhcp-range=172.16.0.0,172.16.0.255,static
>

> but I understand for obsolete legacy reasons dnsmasq doesn’t issue
> .255 addresses
>

> But what is wrong with the first range? It did work fine with older
> version of dnsmasq. I couldn’t find anything in the release notes,
> but I probably looked at the wrong places

Both have always been, strictly speaking, wrong, and the new error
you're seeing is as a result of tidying-up the error checking and
verification in the option-parsing code.

The "static" keyword replaces the second IP address in the range, since
you're actually only specifying a subnet and not range for dynamic
allocation, so

dhcp-range=172.16.0.0,static

is the correct configuration.