[Dnsmasq-discuss] Using dnsmasq.conf with external dns server

Jima jima at beer.tclug.org
Mon May 6 02:51:21 BST 2013

On 2013-05-05 09:31, jack seth wrote:
> I am using a custom ad blocking script on my router that appears to just
> add a bunch of servers to /etc/dnsmasq.conf and dnsmasq.custom.   I have
> one machine that I am pointing to a opendns server instead of using the
> router as the dns server with this command
> 'dhcp-option=laptop,6,208.67.220.220'.  Currently this computer doesn't
> use the servers in dnsmasq.conf.  Is there a way I can set this up to
> have this computer use the items in dnsmasq.conf and dnsmasq.custom and
> if the server is not found in those then goto 208.67.220.220?  BTW,
> dnsmasq is running on the router itself.

  In your dnsmasq.conf:

resolv-file=/etc/resolv.conf.upstream

  In resolv.conf.upstream:

nameserver 208.67.220.220

  Done, unless I'm missing something.  You could skip --resolv-file and
use /etc/resolv.conf if a) the router doesn't have a DHCP client that
would overwrite resolv.conf and b) you don't care if the router uses
itself for DNS.

      Jima