[Dnsmasq-discuss] Authoritative and regular DNS on same interface

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Fri May 10 00:01:21 BST 2013

Hi

I'm setting up a network with a bit of an odd topology, in that it has
IPv6 connectivity supplied through a wireless link that is attached to
the network behind the main gateway (the latter of which is running
dnsmasq). I.e. a setup something like this:

Router ------- LAN

      v6 gateway

I would like to use the authoritative dns support in dnsmasq for
resolving clients on the LAN (which get their addresses from DHCP and RA
From the router). However, the queries to the authoritative server come
in on the same interface as the "regular" queries from the LAN, which
means the auth-server configuration directive is causing me trouble.

I've tried the following combinations:

- Setting auth-server to be the internal interface; this makes outside
  transfers and queries work, but local (recursive) ones fail.

- Setting a separate IP on a dummy interface and specifying dummy0 as
  parameter to auth-server. This has the same effect as not setting
  auth-server.

I guess what I'd like to be able to do is specify auth-server per IP
address rather than per interface; doing so via a dummy interface is
fine, however, as stated above that doesn't currently work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm running dnsmasq v2.67test3 on
cerowrt.

-Toke