[Dnsmasq-discuss] Windows 7 WPAD option

Tom my.mailing.acc at gmail.com
Tue May 28 09:44:15 BST 2013

Hi All,

I notice dnsmasq.conf has an option specific to Win 7.

# Send an empty WPAD option. This may be REQUIRED to get windows 7 to behave.
#dhcp-option=252,"\n"

Is this limited to DHCP or applies for DHCPv6 too ? Would it affect,
if I enable this and my DHCP(v6) server is serving both Win and Linux
hosts?

My actual issue is my Win 7 dhcpv6 host fails at times to receive
valid IPv6 address.

The DHCPv6 eventvwr log contains:

Your computer was not assigned an address from the network (by the
DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address "(mac
address)".  The following error occurred: 0x79. Your computer will
continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network
address (DHCP) server.

&

"An error occurred in plumbing the parameters into stack. Status Code is 0x57."

Regards,

Tom