[Dnsmasq-discuss] Unable to resolve public/external hostnames

Koos Pol koos2013 at pohw.nl
Sun Jun 9 15:58:21 BST 2013

Op 09-06-13 16:35, Nick Warne schreef:

> OK, what does a:
>
> dig google.com
>
> return on the dns machine?

Quote of the day: "There is always someone smarter than you."
Thanks Nick, that was the right question:

dns1:/home/koos # dig google.com

; <<>> DiG 9.9.2-P2 <<>> google.com
;; global options: +cmd

Which leads to the next question:

dns1:/home/koos # ping 8.8.8.8
connect: Network is unreachable

Huh?

Then it dawned upon me. The clients get the Netgear for router/gw. But dns1
itself doesn't (static IP). So I added a default gw route to x.x.x.1 and presto!

You guys are terrific. I owe you a beer. :-)

Cheers,
Koos

--
http://www.malarianomore.org
For $10 a mosquito net + distribution + education + monitoring + evaluation.