[Dnsmasq-discuss] Feature request - customizable timeout and max retransmit count for tftp transfer

Damian Kaczkowski damian.kaczkowski+dnsmasq.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 21:00:12 BST 2013

Hello fellow members.

I have a problem with dnsmasq and its tftp server. I have an embedded
device which needs very high timeout settings for bootp tftp transfer to
work. Currently it is not possible to successfully transfer a file to this
device using dnsmasq. Transfer timeouts before completion. I have to use
some third party tftp server for transfer to work. I need to set
--retry-timeout to something like 60 so the server won't consider
connection as broken too early. After then all works ok.

It would be nice if dnsmasq team could implement new options for setting
timeout and max retransmit count for tftp. What do you say? Will this idea
pass to new versions or it's unlikely to see this implemented in future
versions?

btw.
Would someone be so kind and point me out what part of tftp.c should I edit
to longer the retransmit timeout, please?

Will changing:
  transfer->timeout = now + 2;
to:
  transfer->timeout = now + 60;
work?

I am no coder so I'm not sure what I am doing... ; )

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Greets.