[Dnsmasq-discuss] LAN taken down by Ubuntu upgrade - can't see problem

Koos Pol koos2013 at pohw.nl
Tue Jul 2 16:28:59 BST 2013

Op 30-06-13 22:25, Simon Kelley schreef:

> On 30/06/13 16:55, Adam Hardy wrote:

>> adam.ant at cyberspaceroad.com on 6/29/2013 5:45 PM, wrote:
>>> adam at gondor:~$ cat /etc/hosts
>>> 127.0.0.1	localhost gondor gondor.localdomain
>>> 192.168.0.3	gondor.localdomain

>> I installed dhcping and running this command on the server with dnsmasq
>> on 192.168.0.3 produces the response "no answer" - surely I probe the
>> DHCP service from the same machine like that?

> It's possible that the kernel or routing the dhcping request via the lo local
> interface, rather than via eth1, which is where dnsmasq is expecting to
> receive it.

It may not be related, but OP surprised me by having a FQHN for 127.0.0.1
Although many current Linux box configure themselves that way, it is
considered bad practice. Try to avoid it.

Cheers,
Koos

--
http://www.malarianomore.org
For $10 a mosquito net + distribution + education + monitoring + evaluation.