[Dnsmasq-discuss] Can't get caching to work consistently for external clients

Albert ARIBAUD albert.aribaud at free.fr
Mon Jul 29 07:55:58 BST 2013

Le 29/07/2013 02:25, sirquijote at lavabit.com a écrit :
> Hi,

(keeping only the point that ticked me)

> There is one other thing that may be related: my resolv.conf file's
> contents keep getting periodically re-written to point exclusively to my
> network's router.  I'm not sure why this occurs, but perhaps it's related?
> I've removed write permissions from that file until I can figure out how
> to fix it properly.

This last point makes me wonder how your Macs get new router
information, and the most probable way is DHCP. And DHCP can also
prpagate new DNS information.

So, the first thing I'd do would be to set up a wireskark or tcpdump to
capture DHCP information on one of the Macs for 48 hours, and then see
from which IP(s) DHCP is served, and with which options regarding
gateway and DNS.

Amicalement,
--
Albert.