[Dnsmasq-discuss] configure different "external" A records?

Florian Klink flokli at flokli.de
Mon Jul 29 18:38:19 BST 2013

Am Montag, den 29.07.2013, 16:43 +0100 schrieb Simon Kelley:
> On 24/07/13 13:01, Florian Klink wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a setup here with some virtual machines attached to br0 that get
> > their ipv4 and ra-stateless/ra-names from dnsmasq.
> >
> > dnsmasq.conf:
> >          resolv-file=/etc/resolv.conf.dnsmasq
> >          interface=br0
> >          interface=net0
> >          no-dhcp-interface=net0
> >          bind-interfaces
> >          domain=vms.mydomain.com,172.16.0.0/16
> >          dhcp-range=172.16.0.20,172.16.0.50
> >          dhcp-range=2a01:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx::, ra-stateless, ra-names
> >          dhcp-option=option6:dns-server,[::]
> >          dhcp-option=option6:information-refresh-time,6h
> >          enable-ra
> >
> > The nameserver for mydomain.com has a NS entry for vms.mydomain.com
> > pointing to the external (net0) interface, so you can dig
> > vm1.vms.mydomain.com AAAA and get the correct address.
> >
> > However, a problem is that I also get the A record to 172.16.0.x for
> > this machine when digging from the outside.
> >

> > What I basically want to archive:
> >   - AAAA records point to internal vm addresses (works)
> >   - when digging from the outsidem, A records for all vms point to a
> > globally reachable ipv4 addr (proxy that does the http requests for all
> > ipv4-only visitors)
> >   - when digging from the inside, A records still point to the
> > 172.168.0.x adresses offered by dnsmasq dhcp
> >
> > Is it possible to get such a behaviour with dnsmasq?
> > "localise-queries" is not what I want, right?
> >
> > Thanks for your help,
> >
> > Florian
> >

> Check the latest dnsmasq release, and look in the man page for thr
> AUTHORITATIVE CONFIGURATION section. That describes tools that may be
> able to help.
>

> Simon.

Cool, I didn't knew that there is an authoritative mode :-)

After removing

interface=net0
no-dhcp-interface=net0

and adding

auth-server=vms.mydomain.com,net0
auth-zone=vms.mydomain.com,2a01:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx::/64

dnsmasq answers to "AAAA" queries. "A" queries get NXDOMAIN.

How can I now configure the "autoritative part" of dnsmasq to answer
with a "static A record" for *.vms.mydomain.com?

Something like address=/vm.mydomain.com/x.x.x.x doesn't seem to work...

Florian