[Dnsmasq-discuss] IPv6 link-local addresses and listen-address parameter

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Mon Aug 5 15:30:06 BST 2013

On 05/08/13 15:22, Dan Williams wrote:

> "IP alias interfaces" actually aren't interfaces at all.  They just look
> that way in 'ifconfig', but nowhere else.  What 'ifconfig' shows as an
> "alias interface" is actually just an IP address with a label.  If you
> set up an alias interface, try:
>
> cat /proc/net/dev
> ls /sys/class/net
> ip link show
>
> and you won't see the alias interface anywhere, because it's not
> actually an interface...  which is why you can't use actualy use it with
> --interface or --except-interface.  Aliases are actually just extra IP
> addresses, and ifconfig simply can't handle them.

I think we may be wandering off-topic here and I need to get back to the
start of this thread and read the whole lot before I can make a sensible
contribution, but as a useful aside, labels associated with IPv4
addresses are handled a lot better in the current development code

http://thekelleys.org.uk/gitweb/?p=dnsmasq.git;a=commit;h=3f2873d42c4d7e7dba32b6e64a3687d43928bc8e