[Dnsmasq-discuss] Serving out NetBIOS reverse results?

Jarno Elonen jarno.elonen at housemarque.fi
Tue Aug 27 18:18:34 BST 2013

Hi,

I'd like to configure dnsmasq to answer reverse IP queries for Windows
workstations, replying with their NetBIOS names  (perhaps by querying a
Wins server or doing an nmblookup -A).
Any ideas on how to achieve this?

Current situation:

1) Dnsmasq is serving Windows workstations from a Linux server
2) Samba (v3) works as a Wins server on the same server
3) Manual reverse lookups work: nmblookup -A <ip address>
4) I can ping NetBIOS names from the server (/etc/nsswitch.conf
configured correctly)
5) Reverse queries agains dnsmasq work for hosts that are manually
entered into /etc/hosts
...but, obviously...
6) "nslookup 192.168.1.68" on the server gives "** server can't find
68.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa.: NXDOMAIN"

-Jarno