[Dnsmasq-discuss] Serving multiple addresses via DHCPv6

Roy Marples roy at marples.name
Sun Sep 8 00:23:37 BST 2013

On 07/09/2013 19:37, Simon Kelley wrote:
> Best of luck. The DHCPv6 protocol allows this, in theory, but how it
> should work in practice is not really settled, in my experience. Do
> you have a DHCPv6 client that will do the work? All the clients I've
> tested seem to only request or expect a single address.

dhcpcd-6 allows the requesting of >1 DHCPv6 address and should handle
this correctly.
dhcpcd-6.0.5 may have issues and the latest git has a patch to fix this
(didn't test earlier 6.0.x versions to be fair, should work but YMMV)
http://roy.marples.name/projects/dhcpcd/wiki/DhcpcdDownload

Example dhcpcd.conf

# Request two addresses with an IAID of 1 and 2
interface eth0
ia_na 1
ia_na 2

> dnsmasq-2.66 includes a serious rewrite of the DHCPv6 code which
> allows it to offer multiple addresses. You should use that, or
> preferably the 2.67test releases, to have any chance of success.
>
> Certainly don't expect it to "just work", but do report back on the
> results of your efforts: we may be able to help further, and improve
> dnsmasq in the process.

The above was tested against dnsmasq-2.66, works fine for me :)

Thanks

Roy