[Dnsmasq-discuss] Largest DNSMasq deployment?

Thomas Bartosik tbartosik at ubimet.com
Wed Sep 18 08:19:47 BST 2013

We have PERCEUS here for a small cluster (that is going to be big soon),
and it uses DNSMasq.

"The Perceus network manager uses DNSMasq for the internal network
functionality Perceus uses to provide DHCP and network booting for
nodes." (http://perceus.gravitypark.com/html/faq.html)

Also note

"Known throughout the industry, Warewulf and its provisioning successor
Perceus are the de facto open source stateless clustering solutions.
Powering some of the worlds fastest supercomputers and many systems at
top500.org,[...]" (http://www.infiscale.com/html/perceus.html)

With top500 clusters we're talking 10000 nodes up. Should be some of the
largest deployments...

So I guess DNSMasq scales ;->

th

On 2013-09-18 06:34, Olivier Mauras wrote:

> Right now i have 70 servers and 40 desktop pointing to my dnsmasq
> instance.
> Dnsmasq is serving queries up to 650qps.
>
> Once finished migrated i should have ~600 more desktop clients on this
> site.
>
> On 2013-09-17 18:55, Joshua J. Kugler wrote:
>
>> I was having a discussion with a coworker about the (st)ability of DNSMasq,
>> and I got to wondering how large a network DNSMasq could/does serve. I realize
>> DNSMasq doesn't phone home with any stats, but are there any users on here
>> that would be willing to share the size of large networks on which they use
>> DNSMasq?  By large, I'm thinking at least 100, and going way up from there.
>>
>> Tried googling with the usual keywords, but didn't find anything. Maybe my
>> google fu is week.

DI(FH) Thomas Bartosik
Systems Engineer

UBIMET GmbH