[Dnsmasq-discuss] Renewing pool addresses inspite of static configuration?

Christian Peter peter at itwm.fhg.de
Thu Sep 26 12:53:00 BST 2013

hi,

we have a problem with machines keeping their old pool IPs and
ignoring their newer static IP configuration:

there's a bunch of machines that got their initial IP address from a
DHCP pool range.

later on, i configured other, static addresses for them via /etc/hosts
and /etc/ethers entries.

unfortunately, the machines do not change their IP. the DHCP clients
send DHCPREQUESTs for their previous addresses which are ACKed by the
server.

restarting the server and clearing the server-side lease cache doesn't
help. (there are some appliances among the hosts; so i can't clear the
lease cache on the client side.)

is this a known bug/feature of dnsmasq?
is there any way i can enforce the IP change?

we're using dnsmasq 2.45 as shipped with SUSE Enterprise 11 SP2.

thanks for your help!

   chris