[Dnsmasq-discuss] Can dnsmasq do this?

Christopher Murray mrparp at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 30 16:28:22 BST 2013

I have a requirement to direct certain DNS queries to certain servers.
I'm aware I can configure rules to do this, e.g. domain X -> server Y.
Note I also need reverse (PTR) queries to work and I know dnsmasq also
supports that.

The problems is (don't ask why ;-), I have up to 50 external DNS servers I
need to query and the number of rules gets very large since they are
hosting Active Directory zones.

instead of explicitly configuring this, is their a way to configure this
and dnsmasq learns which DNS IP to use, e.g. dnsmasq does parallel queries
for questions not in its cache to each DNS IP, then once it has a reply
cached it will only query that IP in future?  I realize the cache needs to
be large for that to work well.

Essentially, I'm looking for caching resolver but with parallel queries...
I think :-)

Chris