[Dnsmasq-discuss] What is the required configuration for enabling periodic RA's

Gordon Scott gscott2112 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 25 16:28:55 BST 2013

Hi there,

I'm trying to use dnsmasq to provide RA for stateless IPV6 configuration.
Does anyone know the configuration required to get dnsmasq to send out RA's
periodically?
So far I seem to only see RA's be sent after a DHCP request occurs.

I'm trying to set this up on a router that has a dynamic backhaul where the
assigned IPV6 prefix can change abruptly.  I've seen problems in the past
where clients such as Windows XP seem to ignore a single RA after an IP
change.  The only way I've found to get this bullet proof is to use RADVD
to periodically broadcast RAs.