[Dnsmasq-discuss] Need some indications to patch dnsmasq to bypass /64 limit

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Wed Nov 13 13:27:35 GMT 2013

On 12/11/13 15:43, dnsmasq.bertrandb at dfgh.net wrote:
> 'llo
>
> My hosting provider give me only a /96 ipv6 adress and I xant put on my host some vm with libvirt and dhcp.
> I got the message "no dhcpv6 range available ..." since the bridge adress have a prefix>  64.
> Since the dnsmasq.conf is build by libvirt I think that the solution is to path dnsmasq.
> But dnsmasq seems tom e quite complex what are the place to patch dhcp6.c and radvd.c ?

You should be able to configure DHCPv6 in dnsmasq to handle larger
prefixes. You can't do SLAAC address allocation that way, because it
depends on a 64-bit prefix and a 64-bit EUI-64 id, but DHCP works.

Something like

dhcp-range=<start-address>,<end-address>,92

The prefix length MUST match the prefix length configured in the local
inerface.