[Dnsmasq-discuss] Diagnosing total lack of DNS after reboot of dnsmasq machine

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Mon Nov 25 14:52:03 GMT 2013

I run dnsmasq on a Acer Revo running xubuntu 12.10, it's a fairly
standard configuration, the only significant customisations are:-

    address=/www.google-analytics.com/127.0.0.1
    address=/ssl.google-analytics.com/127.0.0.1
    address=/static.doubleclick.net/127.0.0.1
    address=/www.addthis.com/127.0.0.1
    dhcp-host=00:90:a9:70:06:ff,backup
    dhcp-host=40:61:86:98:f2:41,chris
    local=/zbmc.eu/
    dhcp-option=6, 192.168.1.2,192.168.1.3

I was having problems this morning with a DLNA server that runs on the
same machine so I rebooted it.  I now seem to have no DNS at all on my
network, neither local nor remote names can be looked up (there's a
number of local names defined in /etc/hosts).

So how can I diagnose this?  As far as I can see all the clients are
getting 192.168.1.2 as their DNS server and they can all ping the DNS
server OK.

--
Chris Green