[Dnsmasq-discuss] ARP ignores DHCP ACKs !

Nikita N. nikitan at operamail.com
Tue Dec 24 12:35:03 GMT 2013

Hi :) Im having a strange issue here with DHCP/ARP I cant solve..
DHCP works good, it receives a REQ from client MAC asking the preferred
ip, e.g. 192.168.0.10, and DHCP answers correctly ACK..
But after that, my client keeps asking the following ARP requests to
broadcast: "Who has 192.168.0.10? Tell 0.0.0.0" .. it expects the answer
like "192.168.0.10 is at XX.XX.XX.XX.XX", where XX is the client MAC..
but it never comes :(
those ARP frames are generated by the client (source=XX) and never
receive any answer..
on the opposite, when the client sends ARPs requesting the GW (Who has
192.168.0.1?) the ARP responses come correctly pointing to the correct
GW MAC..
It looks like dnsmasq does NOT inform the system ARP about the client ip
it just ACKed, resulting always in connection error/absent ..

So, my question is, how can I instruct dnsmasq to inform the system ARP
with the new client MAC/ip, after DHCP sent correctly the ACK?
Thanks :)