[Dnsmasq-discuss] ARP ignores DHCP ACKs !

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Tue Dec 24 19:22:02 GMT 2013

On 24/12/13 12:35, Nikita N. wrote:
> Hi :) Im having a strange issue here with DHCP/ARP I cant solve..
> DHCP works good, it receives a REQ from client MAC asking the preferred
> ip, e.g. 192.168.0.10, and DHCP answers correctly ACK..
> But after that, my client keeps asking the following ARP requests to
> broadcast: "Who has 192.168.0.10? Tell 0.0.0.0" .. it expects the answer
> like "192.168.0.10 is at XX.XX.XX.XX.XX", where XX is the client MAC..
> but it never comes :(

Are you sure about the order of these events? Most DHCP clients will
check that the address they've been offered is not in use by anonther
machine before accepting it, and they do that by sending ICMP echo
requests. To send the echo request, the client's kernel will need to
send ARP requests and that probably what you are seeing.

I'd expect to see the client sending these ARPs _afer_ the DHCPOFFER and
before the DHCPREQUEST.