[Dnsmasq-discuss] Client does not receive BOOTPREPLY

Roeland Douma unix at rullzer.com
Mon Jan 20 07:29:31 GMT 2014

Hi,

I am setting up dnsmasq over at my parents but have an issue with 1
client (a raspberry pi) not getting a response to his BOOTPREQUEST.
All the other hosts (my laptop, my phone etc) all do get an valid lease
so it seems something weird is happening.

So a little more detail about the setup. There is the modem from the ISP
(lets call it M) that just acts as a gateway. DHCP is turned off.
Then there is the server (lets call it S) that runs a lot of stuff
including dnsmasq.
And then finally there is the client (let call it C). Now they are all
connected via wired ethernet via a big switch.

When C does a BOOTPREQUEST it does not get a response. However I see the
BOOTPREQUEST appear on S and S does send a response.

I tried to debug using dhcpdump and something weird does show. The
BOOTPREQUEST on C looks normal. And in the IP part it nicely shows:

IP: 0.0.0.0 (mac-of-C) > 255.255.255.255 (ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff)

Also the correct MAC is displayed in the CHADDR field.

When running dhcpdump on S it show the BOOTPREQUEST coming in:

IP: 0.0.0.0 (mac-of-C) > 255.255.255.255 (ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff)

which matches of course. But the BOOTPREPLY shows:

192.168.178.100 (mac-of-S) > 192.168.178.222 (mac-of-M)

The CHADDR does match the mac-of-C

I do not get why S wants to send the reply to M? Any idea's or
suggestions on what to do next?
I am running dnsmasq-2.66.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers,