[Dnsmasq-discuss] lease->expires overflows, causes infinite loop

Daniel Mentz danielmentz at google.com
Wed Jan 22 00:52:11 GMT 2014

I'm having this problem where dnsmasq gets into an infinite loop. This
is what my lease file looks like (only the MAC addresses have been
changed to protect the innocent)

2147483647 a0:0b:ba:00:90:91 192.168.42.79 android-67a44277e5118e11
00:14:d1:22:aa:e6

The value for lease->expires is Jan 19 2038 which is the end of a
signed time_t on a 32 bit platform. I'm not sure how the value got
there, but I certainly did not manually manipulate this file. It could
have to do with my clock jumping from 1970 to 2014.

Now, in lease_update_file(), it executes this code:

next_event = lease->expires + 10;

which causes the time_t value to overflow. The result is December 13
1901 which will cause the event to trigger immediately. However,
lease_prune() does not suffer from this overflow problem which is why
the lease does not get removed, and we end up in an infinite loop.

We are using dnsmasq 2.67.

Can anybody confirm this problem?

Now that I look at it more closely, it occurred to me that
lease_update_file() coerces lease->expires from a signed type to an
unsigned type:

ourprintf(&err, "%lu ", (unsigned long)lease->expires);

Let's assume lease->expires is negative (before Jan 1 1970), then this
coercion yields something that is bigger than LONG_MAX. When
lease_init() reads this value back in with

ei = atol(daemon->dhcp_buff3);

atol() maxes out at LONG_MAX which could explain why I'm seeing this value.