[Dnsmasq-discuss] serving EFI and traditional BIOS at the same time

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Wed Feb 19 22:44:16 UTC 2014

On 19/02/14 14:15, Olaf Hering wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 18, Olaf Hering wrote:

>>> How should the config look like to offer PXE to old and new VM types at
>>> the same time?
>>
>> At least the separation appears to work like that:
>>
>> dhcp-match=x86PC, option:client-arch, 0
>> dhcp-match=BC_EFI, option:client-arch, 7
>> dhcp-boot=tag:x86PC,pxelinux.0
>> dhcp-boot=tag:BC_EFI,syslinux.efi
>> pxe-service=tag:x86PC,x86PC,"x86PC boot msg",pxelinux
>> pxe-service=tag:BC_EFI,BC_EFI,"BC_EFI boot msg",syslinux.efi

I don't think you need the tagging: dnsmasq should use the CSA (ie
x86PC, BC_EFI) to filter which service options are returned.

>> But that does not fix EFI boot, yet.
>
> Actually the above works if dnsmasq does not act as a DHCP proxy.
> For some reason the EFI firmware does not handle that well. In an
> isolated environment the EFI files are handed out properly to the
> client.

That may well be an EFI problem. EFI is still rather a closed world to me.

> One thing remains: how should the mixed environment be documented?
> Its not clear by reading the docs or the example config file.

For each arch, provide pxe-service lines in the config with the correct
CSA. The man page does say:

<CSA> is client system type, only services  of  the  correct  type
will  appear  in  a menu.