[Dnsmasq-discuss] Announce: dnsmasq-2.69rc1

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Sat Mar 22 22:24:13 UTC 2014

On 22/03/14 21:41, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen wrote:
>> Please run it if you can, and report any problems. If you can
>> configure DNSSEC and test that, all the better.
>
> Installed and running. Fine so far :)
>
> Packages available at:
> https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/home:tohojo:dnsmasq/dnsmasq
> for those interested.
>

> A couple of points on the packaging side:
>
> 1. My package manager (on Arch linux) thinks 2.69test9 is a higher
> version than 2.69rc1 (lexical ordering I suppose).
'
Hmm, Debian has a useful character, '~' which sorts after everything
else, and the packaging scripts turn 2.69test1 into 2.69~~test1 and
2.69rc1 into 2.69~rc1 to avoid this problem. Does the same facility
exist in Arch?

> 2. Maybe, with all this signing going on, signing the source
> packages would be a good idea? Also, posting package checksums
> along with the release announcement (and signing that?). Right now
> I have no way of verifying that the tarball is not being tampered
> with somewhere along the way (not even DNSSEC for thekelleys.org as
> far as I can tell?). And you *are* distributing keys now... ;)

Good point. I have a well-known GPG key (not massively signed, but
with some web-of-trust support, and in the Debian keyring).  I'll
organise to sign releases with that. The test and rc releases will
probably be signed with a different key (signed in  turn with the one
above) since they are made automatically with git hooks, so the key
will need to be on the git server and not have a passphrase.

DNSSEC for thekelleys.org.uk should be possible too: looks like my
registrar supports it.