[Dnsmasq-discuss] Stats improvement

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Tue Mar 25 21:37:12 UTC 2014

My feeling it that this should use TXT records, then they can be
extracted into any application using eg

dig +short chaos txt stats.bind

or the equivalent, which outputs the string to stdout.

The current code has,

cache-size, insertions which evicted unexpired cache entries, queries
forwarded, queries answered locally, queries for auth zones.

then for each upstream server,

queries sent, and queries retried or failed.

We could have

size.bind and evictions.bind for cache size and evictions
local.bind, upstream.bind and auth.bind for queries.

But how to handle the variable number of upstream servers. Just free text?

Simon.