[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq and dbus - strange reset behaviour

Nic Ferrier nic at ferrier.me.uk
Thu May 22 21:53:18 UTC 2014

Simon Kelley <simon at thekelleys.org.uk> writes:

> On 22/05/14 21:53, Nic Ferrier wrote:
>> So it seems like dnsmasq isn't actually obeying the server set when it's
>> done more than once or something?
>>
>> Can anyone suggest some debugging I could do or what the problem
>> actually is?
>>

> First thing is to set --log-queries, to get an idea what's actually
> happening to your test query. I'd also simplify things and remove the
> "@tun0" for a start.

But if I don't set the tun0 it won't go over the vpn?

I don't think I can change the log-queries, I can't alter the config at
all, except through dbus, because dnsmasq is controlled by ubuntu's
network-manager

> "but only after a clean reboot" I'm not sure I understand this: what
> happens when you run the command for the second time?

When I start the system afresh it works, I can query the vpn side DNS
via the rules I've added via DBUS.

If I then drop the VPN, re-establish it and redo the dbus set nothing
works.

The dbus call still comes back correctly with something that looks like
dnsmasq understood it and dnsmasq logs to syslog that it has started
using the new domains and DNS server... but nothing works, dig to
dnsmasq for the new names just hangs for timeout.

That's what is so wierd.

Nic