[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq and dbus - strange reset behaviour

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Fri May 23 20:02:38 UTC 2014

On 23/05/14 11:31, Nic Ferrier wrote:
> Simon Kelley <simon at thekelleys.org.uk> writes:
>
>> ... which is probably fighting you by making DBus calls which overwrite
>> yours. My understanding is that network-manager supports the sort of
>> split-DNS you want direct from the GUI these days.
>
> Well, there are problems with it right now, it's stealing my
> gateway. Which is why I wanted to be tactical.
>
> Also it's harder to work with than just scripts.
>
> I don't believe network-manager is doing what you think it's doing, if
> it was surely dnsmasq would report the change of servers.
>
> I wish I could use dbus to get dnsmasq to tell me what it's doing.

It does. Every time the  dbus method is invoked, it logs

"setting upstream servers from DBus"

and every time the set of upstream servers is changed, either through
DBus or otherwise, the whole set of upstream servers is logged.

>> If not see here, for how to wrest control of dnsmasq from network-manager:
>>
>> http://lists.thekelleys.org.uk/pipermail/dnsmasq-discuss/2014q2/008528.html
>
> I don't want to do that either. I am fine with the dbus that's running
> if it would do what I want it to do.
>
> I don't want to wholesale change ubuntu.
>

> That feels like a bit of a final comment though.

Not at all, it seemed like the easiest option, at the time.

> I guess I could try and alter dnsmasq's dbus handling myself to get it
> to report the servers it's using... but it'll be tricky to get ubuntu to
> use the new version I guess.

Se above, it should be doing that. What version of dnsmasq are you using?