[Dnsmasq-discuss] old event to dhcp-script on lease expiry

Nehal J Wani nehaljw.kkd1 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 18:40:32 UTC 2014

> An "old" event is not generated when a lease is _renewed_ (ie when the
> only thing that changes is the expiration time) unless the option
> leasefile-ro is set. Note that setting leasefile-ro has a bunch of other
> effects too.
>
> When a lease _expires_ (ie the end time of the lease is reached without
> it being renewed) then a a "del" event is generated.

So, if I understand correctly, there is no way to maintain the leases
file database *and* have my own script catch all events? Why does
dnsmasq put such restrictions? It would be cool to have both
concurrently.

Another question, not very much related to dnsmasq, is that when a
machine receives a lease for a particular period, when should it query
the DHCP again for a new lease? Is it bound to do so, by some RFC? Or
is a matter of choice by the developer?

--
Nehal J Wani