[Dnsmasq-discuss] Query regarding --leasefile-ro

Nehal J Wani nehaljw.kkd1 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 09:39:03 UTC 2014

Hi!

The man page of dnsmasq (under the section "-9, --leasefile-ro"), states:
When called like this the script should write the saved state of the
lease database, in dnsmasq leasefile format, to stdout and exit with
zero exit code.

Q1. What is the purpose of printing to stdout? I guess it is for
dnsmasq to know the information of previous leases, but I am not sure.
Q2. What all information do I need to print in 'dnsmasq leasefile
format' ? What is the exact format? Is there an example for this (like
the example file macscript)?
Q3. Apart from the leases, dnsmasq also prints some extra information
like "duid 00:01:00:01:1b:40:8d:94:00:25:64:8b:e4:2c" in the lease
file. Is this also mandatory to print to stdout in case I use
leasefile-ro ?

Thanking You,
Nehal J Wani