[Dnsmasq-discuss] DHCPv6 and prefix length on clients

Niels Penneman niels at penneman.org
Sun Jul 20 11:19:30 BST 2014

Thank you for the quick reply.

I have added 'enable-ra' to my dnsmasq configuration, which I believe
sends out router advertisements with A bit off and M bit set.

My IPv6 configuration for the dnsmasq VM (in NetworkManager) is set to
fdaa:aaaa:aaaa::2/64; with 'ip -6 addr' I get:

inet6 fdaa:aaaa:aaaa::2/64 scope global
valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

The other VM now receives an IPv6 address fdaa:aaaa:aaaa::<random> from
dnsmasq; using 'ip -6 addr' I get:

inet6 fdaa:aaaa:aaaa::<random>/64 scope global dynamic
valid_lft <time> preferred_lft <time>

If IPv6 addresses have no prefix, why do I have to set '/64' in the
network configuration of my dnsmasq VM for dnsmasq to work? Setting /128
there causes dnsmasq to complain that 'no addresses are available'.
Furthermore, both VMs are still not able to reach each other: the VM
that dynamically receives its IPv6 address never configures an
appropriate route.

Regards,

Niels