[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq running on RaspberryPi/ArchLinux slow to relay non-cached queries

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Sat Aug 16 21:32:08 BST 2014

On 15/08/14 11:17, Peter Bell wrote:

> Unless this is a well-recognised phenomenon, I guess that I need to
> enable dns logging within dnsmasq and study the output - what should I
> expect to see in the log and what should I be looking for?

My guess is that you'll see a query arriving at dnsmasq, then being
forwarded to an upstream nameserver which doesn't repsond. Sometime
later, the query will be retried, and arrive again at dnsmasq. This time
dnsmasq will send the query to all available upstream servers, and one
will respond.

Prune the non-responding server and all will be well.

On the other hand, something more interesting may be happening, in which
case post here and we'll try and analyse it.