[Dnsmasq-discuss] Proxy DHCP KVM Virtualbox

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Mon Aug 18 21:07:41 BST 2014

On 18/08/14 04:41, Gregg Stock wrote:
> Thank you in advance for taking a look at this.
>
> I have an "interesting" problem trying to get a PXE boot system setup.
>
> I have a dnsmasq server "Alice" that handles DNS and DHCP for several
> networks. I'm trying to add a PXE boot environment and am currently
> using two different PXE boot servers. Server "Bob" runs Cobbler for
> installations. Alice also runs TFTP/PXE and server some system recovery
> distros.
>
> On the LAN network, I'm testing using Virtualbox. On our DMZ network,
> I'm using Libvirt/KVM.
>
> Alice serves up boot menu using pxe-prompt that directs the user to the
> desired boot server. This works fine with Virtualbox but not with KVM.
>
>>From what I can gather using tcpdump, when I execute
>
>           pxe-service=x86PC, "Cobbler LAN Installation Server",
> pxelinux, 172.xx.xx.35
>
> tcpdump shows:
> IP 172.xx.xx.103.bootpc > 255.255.255.255.bootps:
>
> And and everything goes smoothly
>
> But when this executes...
>
>      pxe-service=x86PC, "Cobbler DMZ Installation Server", pxelinux,
> 192.168.x.35
>
> tcpdump shows:
> 192.168.x.35.bootpc > 255.255.255.255.pxe
>
> The KVM guest issues bootpc and pxe but nobody is listening on 4011
>
> Both requests are to the same server, just different interfaces.
The server in question running dnsmasq? If so, it should be listening on
the wildcard address, *:4011. One thing that might get you if you have
something like

interface=eth0

in the configuration, then dnsmasq will do Clever Stuff to avoid
listening to requests that arrive via other interfaces, whilst still
listening on the wildcard interface.

I'd start by checking the dnsmasq configuration