[Dnsmasq-discuss] Secondary dnsmasq server?

richardvoigt at gmail.com richardvoigt at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 14:44:14 BST 2014

If dnsmasq had every imaginable feature, like syncing the DHCP lease list
for failover, then it would no longer be "easy and small".

You can, however, do something almost as good:
* Don't use dhcp-authoritative
* Give each of the two servers non-overlapping pools of addresses

Just a quick question -- you're worried about DHCP downtime, which is
usually a non-issue because of lease length, but what about downtime of the
primary gateway?  Are your DHCP services running on boxes other than the
gateway?  Configuring routing tables to automatically failover to a backup
gateway is a lot more complex than getting two DHCP servers to coexist.