[Dnsmasq-discuss] Patches: Extend --bridge-interface aliasing to DHCPv6 and Router Advertisements

Neil Jerram Neil.Jerram at metaswitch.com
Fri Oct 3 16:54:21 BST 2014

Hi all,

I'd like to propose the attached patches, which extend the aliasing
concept of the --bridge-interface option to DHCPv6 and Router
Advertisement processing.  Prior to these patches, the effect of the
--bridge-interface option is limited to DHCPv4.  I think it's a
natural extension for it to apply to DHCPv6 and RAs as well.

I should give a little background about the scenario motivating this.
As with my previous patch [1, 2], the scenario is that of a compute
host providing connectivity and DHCP for a number of VMs or
containers, where the data into and out of the TAP (or veth)
interfaces to those VMs/containers is routed rather than being
bridged.  In this scenario, the desire is to provide DHCPv4, DHCPv6
and Router Advertisements to all the TAP/veth interfaces, from a DHCP/RA
context specification on some other interface.

[1] http://lists.thekelleys.org.uk/pipermail/dnsmasq-discuss/2014q2/008600.html
[2] http://thekelleys.org.uk/gitweb/?p=dnsmasq.git;a=commit;h=70772c909199ad6701dc25593bc185938fa4cd23

I hope that makes sense.  Please can you let me know what you think,
including whether these patches are suitable for dnsmasq?

Many thanks,
	Neil