[Dnsmasq-discuss] Ignore certain returned DNS response?

Glen Huang curvedmark at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 13:13:33 BST 2014

Is it possible to ask dnsmasq to ignore DNS responses whose records match a certain list of ip, and keep waiting for another response?

The rational behind this is that in China, when querying a domain like youtube.com or twitter.com, a fake ip is quickly returned, fooling dnsmasq to discard the genuine response that comes after it. Luckily the returned fake ips are of a limited set. So it’s relatively easy to distinguish such bogus responses.

I can’t find an option which does this in the man page. So this might be a feature request. I guess it should work like the bogus-nxdomain option, but instead of treating the ip as nxdomain, dnsmasq would ignore it, and keep wait for another response.

I’m willing to take a stab at this feature (it could take some time though, since I’m not familiar with the internels of dnsmasq). But before doing so, I want to make sure that I didn’t missing any option that already does that and this feature does belong to dnsmasq.

Thank you.