[Dnsmasq-discuss] Only TFTP boot clients with specific MAC addresses

Synchunk synchunk at web.de
Sun Nov 23 01:09:28 GMT 2014

Hey,

I'm trying to create a web interface where you can select which
computers should boot using TFTP.
Other computers should get a DHCP lease, but then continue to boot
normally (without PXE).

I went through the mailing list archive and found:

http://lists.thekelleys.org.uk/pipermail/dnsmasq-discuss/2013q4/007638.html
Unfortunately, --tftp-unique-root uses the IP address as directory name,
but I need the MAC address - then I could easily get the web interface
to symlink the MAC addresses of the computers that should boot from the
TFTP server to a directory that contains the bootable image.

I also found the dhcp-script option in the configuration file and it
seems like a pretty good solution combined with --tftp-unique-root.
I could write a dhcp-script that, if necessary, creates a symlink with
the name of the client's new IP address to the folder that contains the
bootable image so that tftp-unique-root provides the image from that
directory.

Now I have two questions:
- Will dnsmasq wait until the dhcp-script executed or will it run
asynchronously? It might take the script a few seconds to check if it
should create a symlink and I don't want the client to send the TFTP
request before the symlink has been created (as it won't be able to find
the boot image then).
- Can anyone suggest a better solution?

Thanks for reading this huge wall of text (and for creating dnsmasq,
it's awesome!)

Synchunk