[Dnsmasq-discuss] Inotify code & older linux

Kevin Darbyshire-Bryant kevin at darbyshire-bryant.me.uk
Sat Jan 24 16:50:26 GMT 2015

On 23/01/2015 14:07, Simon Kelley wrote:
> Yes, that's fine. It'll be a couple of days before I have time to do
> the work.
>

> Cheers,
>
> Simon.
>
> On 22/01/15 09:09, Kevin Darbyshire-Bryant wrote:
> > Hi Simon
>
> > I'm wondering if you'd consider putting the new 'inotify' related
> > code as a compile time option please.  Unfortunately there are a
> > few router based projects that rely on old kernels without inotify
> > support.  I've included a patch that I've hopefully generated &
> > coded correctly that wraps the inotify related code into
> > 'HAVE_INOTIFY' blocks.  It probably requires some sanity checking
> > on my behalf.  Thanks for your time.
>
> > Kevin

I've been reminded to point out that the patch posted is strongly based
on a tweak that Asus did to dnsmasq in a recent release of Asuswrt and
"is not mine".

By my 'hopefully generated' comment I was trying to indicate my newbie
status with regard to 'git diff' and patching in general.  I probably
went a bit far in saying 'coded' however things were adjusted to fit
with changes implemented between Asus' version of dnsmasq and the latest
dnsmasq git.  It wasn't quite a git 'auto merge'.  This is also why I
say it needs some sanity checking because the changes I made may be
wrong and indeed there may be better ways to implement what Asus did.

My intention was that these changes could be spread to the wider dnsmasq
using community rather than be lost or kept 'private' to certain
distributions.

Apologies to all those offended,

Kevin