[Dnsmasq-discuss] What if external DNS unreachable or timed out

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Fri Feb 13 03:13:40 GMT 2015

On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 08:43:20PM -0500, Nikolay P wrote:
> I am wondering what will happen if none of the external DNS servers
> are reachable or suddenly (for any reason) a DNS query to external
> servers timed out. Will Dnsmasq reply to the client's request from
> cache? Assume that this particular query is performed frequently
> and it should be in Dnsmasq cache.

If the record is cached, dnsmasq is not going to ask an upstream
nameserver.  If a query is made to an upstream nameserver, that means
the record is NOT in the cache.

Then if the upstream query times out or otherwise fails, that's what
dnsmasq will tell the client.

> So, will the Dnsmasq reply to the client's request from cache if
> none of the external servers replied?

No, it wasn't cached.
--
  http://rob0.nodns4.us/