[Dnsmasq-discuss] How does DNSMASQ handle large concurrent configure file updating request requests

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Tue Feb 17 20:59:29 GMT 2015

On 16/02/15 06:56, Yongkang You wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
> Can you tell me if `dhcp_release eth1 ip mac` is still needed after
> send SIGHUP, or why `dhcp_release eth1 ip mac` can't release the
> binding without send SIGHUP?

Changing the dnsmasq configuration, specifically dhcp-host entries,
won't affect any current DHCP leases, so if you want to end a DHCP
lease early (maybe to re-use the address) then you'll need to call use
dhcp_release. That can be before or after sending SIGHUP it doesn't
matter.

> BTW, I am not using openstack. Sorry for the confusion.

My mistake sorry, I saw talk about VMs and assumed openstack. I'd be
interested to hear more about the system you are working on, on or off
list.

If you need to have configuration deleted automatically when the file
is deleted using inotify, I can look at doing that. It's significant
extra complexity, so it makes sense to determine if it's needed first.