[Dnsmasq-discuss] announcing deprecated router advertisment

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Sat Feb 28 15:56:28 GMT 2015

On 23/02/15 01:28, Moritz Warning wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have configured dnsmasq along with this line:
> dhcp-range=lan,fdef:12a0:ffe1:200::,slaac,64,deprecated
>
> When the RA is received, the lifetime is 1800 seconds. The man page
> states that deprecated sets the lifetime to 0. Might this be a
> bug?

It may well be, the code seems to set the lifetime to zero when
picking up a contructed deprecated address, but not an explicitly
configured one. Just to be sure, there are no other, non-deprecated
prefixes in the RA. That would affect things.

> Anyway, is there a way to exclude the DNS server entry in the RA?
> :)

Yes, the DNS server address is taken from the DHCPv6 DNS server
option. So setting that to be empty will do the trick.

dhcp-option=option6:dns-server

If you want to remove the dns-server only from RA's and not DHCP
replies; use tags.