[Dnsmasq-discuss] Problems with dnsmasq + authentication with AD

Olivier Mauras olivier at core-hosting.net
Wed Mar 25 13:11:09 GMT 2015

Hello Erling,

2.48 is getting quite old, and i remember having
encountered issues when first deploying the EL6 version.
I've moved to
newer versions long time ago and use dnsmasq in production in front of
AD servers. I definitely can't reproduce that behaviour on 2.70, see
below:

# dig mydomain.domain

; <<>> DiG 9.5.0-P2 <<>>
mydomain.domain
;; global options: printcmd
;; Got answer:
;;
->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 45
;; flags: qr rd ra;
QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 5, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION
SECTION:
;mydomain.domain. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
mydomain.domain. 455
IN A 10.0.0.16
mydomain.domain. 455 IN A 10.0.0.11
mydomain.domain. 455
IN A 10.0.0.14
mydomain.domain. 455 IN A 10.0.0.12
mydomain.domain. 455
IN A 10.0.0.13

;; Query time: 1 msec
;; SERVER:
10.0.0.180#53(10.0.0.180)
;; WHEN: Wed Mar 25 13:54:25 2015
;; MSG SIZE
rcvd: 119

-O.

On 2015-03-25 10:54, Erling Ringen Elvsrud wrote:

Thanks for your reply, I have tested further and it certainly looks like
dnsmasq does not handle multiple A records with the same name like
domaindnszones.mydomain.foo (resolves to 36 ip-adresses)

> and
forestdnszones.mydomain.foo (resolves to 36 ip-adresses) that good

We use dnsmasq 2.48 (RHEL 6.6).
> I have tested like this (hostnames
and ip-adresses anonymized):

> #!/usr/bin/env python
>
> import
socket

> for n in range(5):
> print
socket.gethostbyname('DomainDnsZones.mydomain.foo');

> with dnsmasq
disabled:

> [root at myhost ~]# time ./dns-test.py
> 10.68.62.31

10.67.2.31
> 10.68.133.36
> 10.68.130.31
> 10.35.27.32
>
> real
0m0.048s user 0m0.009s sys 0m0.009s

> with dnsmasq enabled:

[root at b27wasl00148 ~]# time ./dns-test.py
> 10.68.62.31
> 10.67.2.31

> 10.68.133.36
> 10.68.130.31
> 10.35.27.32
>
> real 0m1.105s user
0m0.013s sys 0m0.007s
> 48 milliseconds without dnsmasq and 1105
milliseconds with dnsmasq is a very large
> difference. On ordinary
dns-entries dnsmasq performs good and caching improves
> the speed of
dns-queries.

> My motivation to use dnsmasq is to improve robustness
and performance by running dnsmasq on every host ("Enterprise
environment" with about 3000 hosts in total) as a workaround of missing
functionality in the resolver in Glibc like max 3 dns-servers, 1 sec
timeout if a dns-server is misbehaving (rotate option + timeout 1 +
attempts 1 improves this but dns issues is still a large problem) and no
caching.
> Do you have experience with such use of dnsmasq?

Thanks,

MESSAGE-----

>> There's an option to dnsmasq called
--filterwin2k which was an
>> ill-concieved attempt to modify this sort
of query. Check that you
>> don't have that enabled. Apart from that,
I'm not aware of anything in
>> dnsmasq that could cause this.

Cheers,

wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > We use AD to authenticate users for our
Linux-servers. Recently we
>> > started to try out dnsmasq in order to
get better dns-request
>> > performance, better resiliance (more
dns-servers, avoid timeout:1,
>> > etc with the standard glibc
resolver).

>> > Today I noticed that about every fifth logon
attempt is a lot
>> > slower than normal (10x the time). If I stop
dnsmasq the slowdowns
>> > seems to dissapear.
>> >
>> > I can see with
many ad-related dns-queries with wireshark when
>> > logon is slow like
ForestDnsZones.mydomain and
>> > DomainDnsZones.mydomain. The replies
are large (tcp-based) these