[Dnsmasq-discuss] High Availability: Part Deux

Jonathan Fisher jonathan at springventuregroup.com
Wed Mar 25 15:35:36 GMT 2015

Long time dnsmasq user here, It's a great product, and we're using it on a
mid-sized network of 200+ hosts.

Our business is to the point where we need to eliminate single points of
failure to protect business continuity.

I've looked through the archives and dnsmasq failure is a frequent topic of
discussion. Surprisingly, there doesn't seem to be a formula anyone has
come up with that can easily be implemented (at least that I could find).

I'm trying to come up with a plan... Lets say I setup two instances of
dnsmasq with the exact same configuration, and the leases file was shared
on disk between to the hosts. Does dnsmasq check the leases file before it
hands out a lease?

If so, I think DRDB (http://drbd.linbit.com) may provide the solution I'm
looking for. A change from the file would be seen both the other servers in
the cluster. Since a DHCP client will only accept one offer, write
contention shouldn't be a problem.

Any other conflicts I'm not thinking of? Appreciate any comments very much.
Thank you!

-Jonathan

--
Email Confidentiality Notice: The information contained in this
transmission is confidential, proprietary or privileged and may be subject