[Dnsmasq-discuss] dns server

Linux Luser linuxluser at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 00:45:06 BST 2015

Wouldn't host-record work?

host-record=mydomain.org,192.168.0.101

If the hosts on your network are configured to use your dnsmasq instance
for DNS, then they will get back 192.168.0.101 when doing a lookup for
mydomain.org.

On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 4:09 PM, Thiago Farina <tfransosi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> First of all, sorry for asking here in this mailing list. I tried to
> find the answer googling for it, but failed.
>
> I didn't find a way to search the archives of this mailing list
> either, so hence I'm posting here.
>
> I hope someone can help me.
>
> This was probably asked and answered many times before, so if you have
> points for it, please send it my way.
>
> I'm trying to configure dnsmasq as my dns server in my home network.
>
> I have a cisco dpc3825 router (ip 192.168.0.1) that connects to the
> internet, an Ubuntu server where I want to run dnsmasq on ip
> 192.168.0.101, and a bunch of other machines in the network.
>
> I know how to change the router to point to ubuntu server as a primary
> dns. That is not the problem. The problem is the configuration of
> dnsmasq.conf.
>
> I have a nginx running and serving a static site on this ubuntu
> server. What I want is that dnsmasq translate to the other machines in
> my network when they type mydomain.org to the ip address of my ubuntu
> server which is running nginx, so they should be able to see my site
> in my local network.
>
> I believe the configuration on the router should be something like:
>
> Primary DNS: 192.168.0.101
> Secondary DNS: 8.8.8.8
> Ternary DNS: 8.8.4.4
>

> But what about dnsmasq.conf? How should I configure it?
>
> Currently it has the following content:
> $ cat /etc/dnsmasq.conf
> listen-address=127.0.0.1
>
> --
> Thiago Farina

daV.e

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the conditions that surround him...
The unreasonable man adapts surrounding conditions to himself... All
progress depends on the unreasonable man." Bernard Shaw