[Dnsmasq-discuss] dns server

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Wed Apr 15 09:30:10 BST 2015

On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 11:15:45PM -0300, Thiago Farina wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 10:56 PM, Linux Luser <linuxluser at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Are you running dnsmasq through NetworkManager on the server or the client?
> Yes, I'm running it through NetworkManager on the server. :/
>
> I have this in my NetworkManager.conf:
>
> $ cat /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf
> [main]
> plugins=ifupdown,keyfile
> dns=dnsmasq
>
> no-auto-default=84:2B:2B:7C:96:69,
>
> [ifupdown]
> managed=false
>
> Is it better to run it standalone? How can I change this?

When I ran dnsmasq on an xubuntu machine on my home network I ran the
standalone version of dnsmasq, thinking back I can't quite remember
why but I did think it was better for some reason.

I think you have to turn off the NetworkManager running of dnsmasq by
commenting out the line dns=dnsmasq above.  You can then install the
full dnsmasq package and it will put a proper start-up script in
/etc/init.d.

It's still rather messy though and that's why I now have dnsmasq
running on a raspberrypi where it's *much* simpler to configure and
you can put the dns server IPs in /etc/resolv.conf etc.

--
Chris Green