[Dnsmasq-discuss] How to use wildcards for a substring search for name resolution?

Richard Nelson unixabg at gmail.com
Sat May 30 02:16:10 BST 2015

Greetings,

I am new to the m-l but I have used dnsmasq for a long time and it is a
super tool! My inquiry today is I would like to test utilizing dnsmasq to
do simple domain name content filtering. I know that a specific site can be
addressed by adding an entry for say badsite.com in /etc/hosts but what I
am looking for is a way to do wildcards like

*badsite*  =resolveTo=>  badsiteFound.org || IPAddress

I believe in the dnsmasq.conf I could add something like address=/
badsite.com/127.0.0.1 which I think is similar to *.badsite.com but I am
not sure how to do the wildcards on both sides. Any ideas of the best way
to approach?

Thanks.