[Dnsmasq-discuss] openvpn + dnsmasq

Johannes Martin jmartin at notamusica.com
Mon Jul 6 06:27:06 BST 2015

Hi Anton,

it might have helped if the error messages weren't in German... ;-)

Debian Jessie is using systemd as init system. systemd does not always
start legacy services (those described in /etc/init.d rather than
/etc/init) in the order you would expect (for more details, see
https://utcc.utoronto.ca/~cks/space/blog/linux/SystemdAndSysVInitScripts).

So it is possible that in your setup systemd starts openvpn and dnsmasq in
parallel or in the wrong order rather than in alphabetical sequence.

To fix this, you could either:
a) convert the SYSV init scripts to systemd init scripts.
b) add LSB standard comment blocks to the existing SYSV init scripts to
declare the dependency between opendns and dnsmasq.

Hope this helps
 	Johannes