[Dnsmasq-discuss] Only DNS server over DHCPv6

Hans Schmidt z0idberg at gmx.de
Wed Sep 9 18:41:33 BST 2015

Hello,

I am having some problem handing out only the DNS server via DHCPv6.

I have a AVM Fritz!Box router, which is (sadly) supplied by my provider,
so I can't replace it. I want to run dnsmasq on a Raspberry Pi running
Arch Linux and disable the DHCP server of the FritzBox. I disabled the
DHCPv4 server, which works fine, but for IPv6 I only want to distribute
the DNS server because the addresses are handled via SLAAC.

On the router, I checked "Disable DHCPv6 server in the FritzBox.
Activate the O flag in the router advertisement messages of the
FritzBox. Clients should take all non-ip-address information (e.g. dns
servers) from another in the home network available DHCPv6 server". This
seems to be exactly what I want. My dnsmasq.conf is at the bottom of
this mail.

But if I try this on Windows 7, 8 or 10 and disabling IPv4, the DNS
server is not distributed. The IPv6 address is correct, but I get two
gateways, first the link local address of my raspberry pi, and then the
one of my router; and with DNS server I have three times
fec:0:0:0:ffff::1%1 (up to::3). If I also enable IPv4, the IPv6 DNS
server column is empty. All I want is to set the DNS server to the link
local address of my RPI.

My dnsmasq.conf is like this:

expand-hosts
bogus-priv
stop-dns-rebind
local=/privat.lan/
domain=privat.lan
server=/ad.privat.lan/192.168.10.201

dhcp-authoritative

dhcp-range=192.168.10.10,192.168.10.150,12h
dhcp-option=option:router,192.168.10.1
dhcp-option=option:domain-name,"privat.lan"

dhcp-range=::ba27:1234:5678:9012,constructor:eth0,ra-names,12h
dhcp-option=option6:dns-server,[fe80::]
dhcp-option=option6:domain-search,"privat.lan"

Weirdly, somehow on Ubuntu with Network manager it works, but I cannot
imagine that only Windows would do it wrong...

Thank you!