[Dnsmasq-discuss] No IPv6

Nickolai Dobrynin ndobrynin at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 17:17:20 BST 2015

After some googling, I found a couple of things that might help,
so I am going to relay them here, and please correct me if anything
is wrong. (There is a lot of hearsay when it comes to IPv6).

1. Dnsmasq does NOT listen to the WAN interface to obtain IPv6 prefix.

2. Instead, the LAN interface must be assigned a world-routable IPv6 address
MANUALLY, e.g. through 'ip -6 address add ...'. Once assigned, it is up to
dnsmasq (if configured properly) to RA that prefix.

Assuming (1) and (2) are true, now comes the hard part. I need a script that
would do the manual address assignment (see 2) AND change that assignment
automatically when the prefix changes. I know that dnsmasq can be made to
interact with scripts. What I need is, conceptually speaking, the
on_ipv6_prefix_change(new_prefix) callback. How can I set that up?

Many thanks!