[Dnsmasq-discuss] How to let dnsmasq using multiple upstream dns servers with non-standard ports.

Hongyi Zhao hongyi.zhao at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 02:02:52 BST 2015

> On 27/09/15 04:44, Hongyi Zhao wrote:
>>> You can't put non-standard ports in a resolv-file, the format of those
>>> files does not include ports.
>>>
>>> It is possible to put a non-standard port in dnsmasq configuration files
>>> using
>>>
>>> server=server1#port1
>>>
>>> So simply make your file look like
>>>
>>> server=server1#port1
>>> server=server2#port2
>>> server=server3#port3
>>> server=server4#port4
>>>
>>> call it /path/to/servers.dnsmasq
>>>
>>> and tell dnsmasq to read it as a dnsmasq configuration file.
>>>

>>> sudo dnsmasq -d -p 5353 -C /path/to/servers.dnsmasq  --all-servers
>>
>> According to the help of dnsmasq, it seems that the more appriate
>> method should be using the following option to invoke the above
>> configuration file:
>>
>>     --servers-file=<path>               Specify path to file with
>> server= options
>>
>> sudo dnsmasq -d -p 5353 --servers-file=/path/to/servers.dnsmasq  --all-servers
>
> Yes, that's a good way to do it.
>

>> In addition, I want to know another thing: how to control the shortest
>> time with which I wait for the responding from these upstream dns
>> servers.  I mean: when using `--all-servers' option, the dnsmasq will
>> query all of these dns servers parallely and I want to use the most
>> firstly query returned to me and then throttle the remail query for
>> the spefific domain name.  Is this possiable?
>
> The first answer returned will be the one used. I don't understand the
> second part of your question, sorry. Could you explain another way what
> you want to do?

Sorry for my poor english.

Let me describe it as follows:

Just as you have told me: the first answer returned will be the one used.

But, after the  the first answer returned, there still will be other
query restults returned subsequently due to the parallelly query done
by `all-servers' option.  So, how the dnsmasq deal with the remain
ones?  Does it simply discard the remainly returned results?

Regards

> Cheers,
>
> Simon.
>

>>> That should do the trick.
>>>

>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Simon.

Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao at gmail.com>
Xinjiang Technical Institute of Physics and Chemistry
Chinese Academy of Sciences
GnuPG DSA: 0xD108493