[Dnsmasq-discuss] Enable bogus-priv by default

Eric Luehrsen ericluehrsen at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 20 01:21:48 BST 2015

Kevin,

I don't think there is a flaw in your logic. You are probably 50% right.
DNSMASQ is so flexible and useful it has found two significant homes and
a bunch of other neat uses.

Top however, (1) as a single point entry router caching DNS
(ex 192.168.1.1 / X.X.X.X -> 8.8.4.4), and (2) as a local machine
name cache daemon (ex 127.0.1.1 / 192.168.1.2 -> 192.168.1.1).
For use (1) your default concept is quite right to avoid harassing the
world net and not enumerate your internal system to the world. For (2)
rather, the workstation will need to forward otherwise useless requests
up to the router to resolve local. So thats going to be your 50% split.

So I would recommend that both options be included in the CONF syntax.
I would then recommend that the default behavior be a conditional
compile for the distribution builder. In a Debian-Linux workstation
distr. the default is to forward. In a OpenWRT distr. the default is
to not forward bogus local ... something like that.

Eric